Sunday 22 March 2009

Island Life

A perfect early spring week on Alderney,in the Channel Islands, with lots of inspiration for stripe patterns and colours in the natural landscape. We couldn't have been luckier with the weather - ten hours of sunshine nearly every day and no need to put on our overtrousers once!
I knitted a few samples for my course in the evenings, although this time I'm posting some pics of the island itself plus some inspirations for those stripes.

And finally... a sample from a different set of islands, the Falklands, which Other Half visited last month, returning with a pack of 100% Falklands wool in a lovely shade called Pebble. The swatch here has two cable patterns which according to Pam Dawson's book, Traditional Island Knitting, are typical Falklands' designs. I particularly like the double cable pattern below, which I am hoping I can include in a jumper. My tension swatch is slightly off from the pattern in the book, so I'm going to have to do some adapting, which WILL BE GOOD FOR ME!!!